Homemade pie crusts like mom used to make are quite easy to learn how to do. It's a little messy to dump some flour down to roll these out, but if you love your desserts then you're probably willing to go the extra mile. And yes, I actually did get this recipe from my mother.
Salt was originally added to butter as a preservative. Unsalted butter is generally fresher and typically packed in foil to preserve flavor. Unsalted butter is preferred for freshness and controlling in the quantity of salt.
Buy sweet butter and you can freeze the quarters wrapped in saran wrap in a freezer baggie and use as needed.
1) In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients: flour, salt and sugar. Chop up the butter into small cubes or pads with a knife. The butter should be cold – straight from the fridge. Also, let me call special attention to the use of unsalted butter. You’ll find most pastry recipes use unsalted butter. See side note for info.
2) Add the butter to the bowl. Take a long handled wooden spoon or pastry mixer and start to mash and stir the dough. This will break the butter up into little bits. The same thing can be done with a food processor, but take care not to overdo it.
3) Slowly add the 1/2 cup of ice cold water a little at a time. Work it in as you go. You may not need to use it all. It should appear quite flaky, but don’t add more water. Just take your hands and fold it over once or twice.
4) Cover your cutting board or counter with a dusting of flour and lay out the dough. Take the dough and roll it out evenly until you have it about 1/8th inch thick. Lay it in your pie dish and trim the excess hanging over the dish. Alternatively, you can flip your pie tin upside down and cut out around it.
5) Repeat with the leftover dough. After rolled, lay over the top and trim at the edges.
6) Follow the rest of the recipe for making the Grilled Apple Pie or whatever recipe you're following. If you haven't tried the Grilled Apple Pie it is an extremely easy pie recipe to make your your smoker or grill.
7) When the pie is assembled flute the edges, slit a few holes in the top and place a few scores from the center outwards.